Saturday, March 19, 2011

But without unions, we will have child labor, 80 hour weeks, miserly pay..

If the Wisconsin pro-union siding folks have it right, ridding of collective bargaining will send us back to the days of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", with 80-hour work weeks, no overtime, no holidays or days off, child labor, dangerous work conditions, miserly pay...

And I thought to myself, hmm , they have a point as such conditions did exist before unions so perhaps unions serve their purpose.

However, I then thought of something no one seems to have brought up...do these Sinclair-esque conditions exist in private non-unionized industry withing the United States?

No. We have labor laws that protect all workers. Unions did, however, contribute to the bringing about of these laws, and for that, I thank them. I just think unions have overstepped their bounds as of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment